- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup cold water
How To Make Long John Silver’s Batter
- Mix Dry Ingredients:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. Mix well to evenly distribute the spices.
- Add Water:
- Gradually add the cold water to the dry ingredients while whisking. Continue whisking until the batter is smooth and free of lumps.
- Rest the Batter:
- Let the batter rest for about 10-15 minutes. This allows the ingredients to fully hydrate and the flavors to meld.
- Coat Seafood:
- Dip your seafood of choice (such as fish fillets, shrimp, or other seafood) into the batter, ensuring they are well coated.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or a deep skillet to around 350°F (175°C).
- Carefully place the battered seafood into the hot oil and fry until golden brown and crispy. This usually takes a few minutes, depending on the thickness of the seafood.
- Drain and Serve:
- Once the seafood is cooked to a crispy golden brown, remove it from the oil using a slotted spoon and place it on a plate lined with paper towels to drain any excess oil.
- Serve your delicious homemade Long John Silver’s-style battered seafood with your favorite dipping sauces and sides.
This batter recipe captures the essence of Long John Silver’s crispy and flavorful coating. Enjoy the taste of classic seafood fare right in your own kitchen.
Credit: Recipes Need