Creamed peas and potatoes, a classic comfort food dish, is a delightful blend of tender potatoes, creamy white sauce, and vibrant peas. Whether you’re seeking a side dish to complement a hearty meal or a comforting standalone dish, this recipe is sure to please your taste buds. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll take you through the step-by-step process of preparing this comforting classic. So, roll up your sleeves and get ready to indulge in the warm, creamy goodness of creamed peas and potatoes.
Here’s a detailed list of ingredients you’ll need to prepare this delectable dish:
|Large potatoes||2 (or several small new potatoes)|
|Fresh shelled peas (or frozen)||3 cups|
|Chicken bouillon granules||1 1/2 teaspoons|
Preparing the Potatoes
- Begin by peeling and cutting the regular potatoes into large, 1 1/2-inch cubes.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until they become tender.
- If you’re using new potatoes, simply boil them in water until they reach the desired tenderness.
Making the White Sauce
- In a 2-quart saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour until the mixture becomes smooth and slightly thickened.
- Gradually add the cream and milk while continuing to whisk, creating a creamy white sauce.
Adding Peas and Seasoning
- Stir in the chicken bouillon granules into the white sauce.
- Add the fresh shelled peas or frozen peas to the sauce and cook until they are heated through.
- At this point, your potatoes should be close to being done. Drain them and add them to the white sauce.
- Stir in pepper to taste, but be cautious not to overcook the peas; they should remain crisp and flavorful.
- Your creamed peas and potatoes are now ready to be served.
Is it necessary to peel the potatoes? No, peeling the potatoes is optional. If you prefer the rustic texture and earthy flavor of potato skins, feel free to leave them on.
Can I use canned peas instead of fresh or frozen? While fresh or frozen peas are recommended for the best flavor and texture, you can use canned peas in a pinch. Just be sure to drain and rinse them before adding them to the dish.
How do I reheat leftovers? When reheating creamed peas and potatoes, you may find that the sauce has thickened. Simply add a bit of milk while reheating to achieve the desired consistency.
Can I make this dish in advance? Yes, you can prepare creamed peas and potatoes in advance and reheat it when needed. However, it’s best to add the peas just before serving to ensure they maintain their crispness.
Can I customize the seasoning? Absolutely! Feel free to adjust the seasoning to suit your taste. You can experiment with different herbs and spices to enhance the flavor to your liking.
What are some good dishes to pair with creamed peas and potatoes? Creamed peas and potatoes make an excellent side dish for roasted chicken, grilled steak, or meatloaf. It also pairs well with other comfort foods like meatloaf or fried chicken.
Creamed peas and potatoes are a timeless comfort food that never goes out of style. With its creamy sauce, tender potatoes, and vibrant peas, this dish is a crowd-pleaser that can be enjoyed as a side or a standalone meal. Whether you’re a seasoned cook or a beginner in the kitchen, this recipe is simple to follow and yields delicious results every time. So, go ahead and treat yourself and your loved ones to the heartwarming goodness of creamed peas and potatoes.