Cherries have always been the crowning jewel of many desserts. Their vibrant color and sweet-tart flavor make them irresistible. When combined with a velvety cream cheese layer and a buttery graham cracker crust, it creates the perfect dessert experience. Today, I’m thrilled to share the exact recipe for the classic cherry feeling—a dessert that evokes memories, delights the senses, and keeps friends and family coming back for more.
A Slice of Family History: The Classic Cherry Feeling
Whenever the sweet aroma of buttery graham crackers wafted through the corridors of our family home, we knew it meant one thing: Grandma Josephine was visiting. Grandma Jo, as we fondly called her, was an absolute maestro in the kitchen. She hailed from a small town where cherries were the pride of every farmer. Every summer, as cherry trees bloomed and bore fruit, she would create desserts that resonated with love and tradition.
The Classic Cherry Feeling was her signature dish. It wasn’t just a dessert for us; it was a cherished family heirloom, a taste of our roots, and a reminder of warm family gatherings around the large oak dining table.
I remember being a little girl, my feet barely touching the ground as I sat on the kitchen counter, watching Grandma Jo with wide-eyed wonder. She’d share tales of her youth, of cherry orchards in full bloom, and of grand dances where she first met Grandpa Elliot. Each layer of the dessert, she’d say, symbolized a chapter of their love story. The firm, buttery base was the foundation of their relationship; the creamy layer, the smooth years of their married life; and the cherry topping, the sweet moments and memories they created.
Each bite of the Classic Cherry Feeling is a journey down memory lane. Today, as I prepare it for my own children, I not only pass on a delicious recipe but also tales of love, tradition, and the importance of cherishing every sweet moment in life.
I hope this adds a touch of warmth and family sentiment to the recipe.
Whether you’re hosting a dinner party, looking for the perfect dessert to bring to a gathering, or simply craving something sweet, this recipe will never fail to impress.
For the Skin:
- Unsalted butter (at least 7 tablespoons)
- Graham crackers (around 9 whole crackers for 1 1/2 cups crumbs)
- Granulated sugar (3 tablespoons)
For the Topping:
- Cream cheese (8 ounces)
- Powdered sugar (1 cup)
- Pure vanilla extract (1 teaspoon)
- Whipping cream (1 cup or 8 ounces)
- Cherry pie filling (1 can, 21 ounces)
Classic Cherry Feeling Recipe
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- Graham Cracker Base: Start by melting your butter and crushing the graham crackers. Combine with granulated sugar and press firmly into your chosen dish. Chill to set.
- Cream Cheese Layer: Whip the cream cheese until soft and airy. Gradually fold in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
- Whipping Cream Addition: In a separate bowl, whip the cream to stiff peaks. Gently fold this into the cream cheese mixture.
- Cherry Topping: Evenly spread the cherry pie filling over the creamy layer.
For the Skin:
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (roughly equivalent to 9 whole crackers)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
For the Topping:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipping cream (8 ounces)
- 1 can cherry pie filling (21 ounces)
Preparing the Graham Cracker Skin:
- Melt the Butter: In a small saucepan, melt the 7 tablespoons of unsalted butter over low heat. Keep an eye on it to avoid burning.
- Crush the Crackers: Place the graham crackers in a food processor and pulse until you have fine crumbs. If you don’t have a food processor, place the crackers in a zip-top bag and use a rolling pin to crush them.
- Combine and Press: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and granulated sugar. Stir until the mixture resembles wet sand. Transfer this mixture to a pie dish or a tart pan and press it evenly across the bottom and up the sides. This forms your crust or “skin”.
- Chill: Place the pie dish in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes to allow the crust to firm up.
Preparing the Cream Cheese Topping:
- Beat the Cream Cheese: In a large mixing bowl, beat the softened cream cheese until it’s smooth and creamy.
- Add Sugar and Vanilla: Gradually add the powdered sugar to the cream cheese while continuing to beat. Mix until well combined. Stir in the pure vanilla extract.
- Whip the Cream: In a separate mixing bowl, whip the cream until stiff peaks form.
- Combine: Gently fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture until well combined.
- Spread: Take your pie dish with the chilled graham cracker crust out of the refrigerator. Spread the cream cheese mixture over the crust evenly.
- Top with Cherries: Pour the cherry pie filling over the cream cheese layer, spreading it out to ensure even coverage.
- Place your Classic Cherry Feeling dessert in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours, or overnight for best results.
- Before serving, you can optionally garnish with some fresh cherries or a sprinkle of graham cracker crumbs to add an extra touch of elegance.
- Chill and Slice: Ensure the Classic Cherry Feeling is well-chilled before slicing to maintain its structure.
- Garnish: Fresh cherries, a sprinkle of graham cracker crumbs, and a drizzle of chocolate or caramel sauce can elevate its presentation.
- Pairing: Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream for added richness
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
- Can I use homemade cherry filling?
Absolutely! Homemade fillings often have a fresher taste.
- How long can I store this dessert?
It’s best consumed within 2-3 days when stored in the refrigerator.
- Can I use a different fruit filling?
Yes, blueberry or strawberry fillings also pair beautifully with this recipe.
There you have it—the timeless Classic Cherry Feeling that promises to tantalize your taste buds with its sublime combination of flavors and textures. Every spoonful is a delightful journey, with the buttery crust, velvety cream cheese layer, and luscious cherry topping.
Whether you’re an experienced baker or new to the kitchen, this recipe is simple enough for anyone to follow. And the results? Absolutely divine!
Note: If you enjoyed this recipe, don’t forget to share it with your friends and family on social media. And for those seeking more delicious recipes and culinary inspirations, make sure to keep visiting our blog. Happy baking! 🍒🍰
Credit: Easy Instant Recipes